As of 18:00 9th November 2016, at least 319 lawyers, law firm staff, human right activists and family members have been questioned, summoned, forbidden to leave the country, held under house arrest, residential surveillance, criminally detained, arrested.
Statistics by category (lawyers, lawyer assistants/ others)*:
(Download PDF of the 319 names)
- Detained pending for trial: 16 persons (6/ 10)
- Sentenced and closed at first trial: 4 persons (1/ 3)
- Released on bail: 20 persons (13/ 7)
- Charge dropped: 1 person (1/ 0)
- House arrest: 1 person (0 / 1)
- Forbidden to leave the country: 39 persons (28 / 11)
- Temporarily detained, forcibly questioned/ summoned (released/ safe now): 264 persons (124 / 140)
* 22 individuals are listed under two categories; 2 individuals are listed under three categories
- 16 persons who have been detained pending for trial: Li Heping, Xie Yanyi, Wang Quanzhan, Lui Sixin, Xia Yang, Li Chunfi, Wu Gan, Lin Bin, Yin Xu’an, Wang Fang, Zhang Wanhe, Liu Xing, Li Yanjun, Tang Zhishun, Xing Qingxian, Yao Jiangqing
- 4 persons who were sentenced and their case close at first trial: Zhou Shifeng, Zhai Yanmin, Hu Shigen, Gou Hongguo
- 20 persons who were released on bail: Wang Yu, Bao Longjun, Ren Quanniu, Zhang Kai, Xhao Wei, Li Shunyun, Gao Yue, Sui muqing, HUan Liqun, Xie yuandong, Wang Qiushi, Huang Yizi, Yan Xiaojie, Liu Yongping, Zhan Chongzhu
- There are still 16 lawyers and and human right activists who have been detained pending for trial.
- Most cases were returned to police for further investigation by Procuratorate.
- Xie Yang suffered from prolonged interrogation, dangling and irritating smoke.
- Public security officers forced Xie Yang to face interrogation for 7 days in row while his defense lawyer was not allowed to meet him.
- Defense lawyers of Xie Yang were “dismissed” without any proper reasons.
- Zhai Yanmin was forced to wear electronic surveillances devices.
- Yu Wensheng was failed to visit Wang Yu and Bao Longjun.
- The court requested Wang Fang for her confession.
- 4 family members of lawyers went to Supreme Procuratorate to make complaints.
- 35 709 families members wrote an open letter to Xi Jinping.
- Wang Qiaoling, the wife of lawyer Li Heping, was slapped by a police officer from Changsha.
- Chen Guiqiu, the wife of lawyer Xie Yang, was forcibly questioned after going to Supreme Procuratorate.
- Lu Tingge was threatened by police after forwarding messages regarding to 709 crackdown.
- The family of lawyer Wang Quanzhang was not allowed to give interviews to press, and CCTVs were installed in their home and community for surveillance purpose.
- The family of lawyer Xie Yangyi was dispossessed again.
- The court rejected the lawsuit against a government-appointed lawyer. Lawyer then filed an appeal.